Dated on 30 October 2000, Phnom Penh
/ Rainfall welcomed me /
A woman who brings rain whenever she comes arrived Phnom Penh on 29th
October with a downpour , The water overflowed every corner in the
town , but the flood crisis of MEKONG seems to go away for the time
being , However, in the area where has been badly damage , how do the
farmers deal with fear of hunger in the next year ? School situation
still remains unresisting factors including development of coming
commune election .
/ Wanted ! kind aid to Mr BORAMY /
In a general meeting of ASAC, Mr Thai saray who is going to enter
graduate school of TOKYO university disclosed his desolate experience
in the Cambodian former society in which any cultivation's of
aesthetic sensitivity , even music and painting were neglected , But
it can be said that he was lucky because he could study in university
at any rate , On the contrary , manager of ASAC , Mr BORAMY worst his
parents in war- torm Cambodia was unlucky indeed , His high school
graduation certificate was disappeared in the dust of battle , He
friends tried to fake up his certificate , But Mr BORAMY declined to
accept it , and re - studied in night high school as a working
student , then entered university formally , He is 42 years olds ,
now at one of his corners , Are there .
/ Cute brilliant eyes /
On 24th . October , I tolled a story about Cambodia to children of
Futagawa primary school of Sekiyado town , Here I introduce their
cute response as bellow , but I had to cut some of them for lack of
space , sorry .
* KIYOMI " Cambodia hasn't enough school , but everybody help each
other and make school , It's great , Hurray , hurray Cambodia ! "
* MAIKO " I'm very glad to hear a good talk , Cambodian people take
joint to build school , It's a wonderful thing ".
* YUKIYO TAMURA " It was very good lesson for me to listen about
Cambodian children , I'm happy to know Japan built school and library
for them , I must not waste notebook any more , Cambodia isn't rich ,
but people don't lose heart , It's very nice ! " .
* MANA '' I was surprised to know many Cambodian want to study but no
school , There are plenty of mine buried , and many people lost their
I want to do helpful thing for them ,
/ School opening tour , Study tour, our project engine opening all
The opening ceremonies of Haruto Totung Thngai primary school on 13
November , Wat Ang library on 3 Dec , Mak prang primary school on 4
December , and sla primary school on 15 December , shall be scheduled
respectively , Literacy class is to be opened November , Construction
of two schools newly stared , In the meanwhile , instructor of art
study will visit each school one by one , Chum kruel library and prek
Thot primary school are also waiting for opening , Many thanks to you
all donors !
/"My first letter " is written after literacy lesson , No, 5 special
This year , the number of school and library construction broke the
past record , Besides , only annual literacy class but also art
lesson was set out , I was
pressed with traveling business , so office work was apt to be piled
Anyway November 5 issue of "First letter writing after literacy
lesson " was completed , Extracts of student's voice are follows
* Before I went to literacy class, I was Just like a blind , ( age 25
- ref , Most of student express their feeling like this , looking
back upon by gone days ,
* I sew 4 suits a day , I'm living with my parents and brothers, but
brothers are all out work now , so we are struggle to survive , ( age
16 female )
- ref , I can understand that the weight of entire family's trouble
devolve upon shoulders of a girl aged only 16 .
* I couldn't study when I was young , because war began ( age 37
- ref , I suppose many people lost chance to receive education ,
because of poorness and civil war ,
* No one is literate in my family , I was often tricked in my small
business as I couldn't read letter , Now I'm joining hard for my
family and business of myself , (age 17 male) .
- ref , This boy is trying to overcome pains of his family caused by
* Thank you Mr. EMUSOKORE , I could understand to good from bad,
- ref , Students have to study a matter of right or wrong and social
* Before , I didn't know what kind of disease the typhoid fever is ,
But now I know its character , the cause of catching and the way of
prevention , ( age 17 female ) .
- ref , Medical education will accelerate to have another look at
their life style -
* Through study in literacy class , my son became to use soap when he
washes his body and hair , He also regularly has haircut and nail
clipping , He washes his cloths every day , ( age 23 female ) .
- ref , In this way , their life is changing step by step -
* I have learned reading , writing and arithmetic in the class ,
Besides I became to understand meaning of radio news of the national
mass media , ( age 44 female )
- ref , Uneducated people fall behind useful information all the time
* I came to know that there are some illegal acts on our culture,
temple and traditional soluptue which represent symbol and soul of
our country , We can understand more about our country , through the
study of preservation of those national heritage ( age 17 male )
- ref , students are getting consciousness of their own nation , and
some of them noticed that any unfavorable acts are under way .
By the way , Mariko-san recalled the moment when she felt a
mysterious since of fulfillment after more than sixteen hours
triathlon and breasted the goal tape as ironman in Hawai , she was
full of confidence to do anything and everything at the time .
Go to the previous issue